IMX519 Quad-HAT Mode switching and FAQ

This post will introduce some modes and common problems of IMX519 Quad-HAT.
If the FAQ does not solve your problem, please start a separate topic to ask the question, and attach the following information:

1 Like

Quad-HAT Register Description:

Example:

# Set to single channel 0
i2cset -y 10 0x24 0x24 0x02
# Set to single channel 1
i2cset -y 10 0x24 0x24 0x12
# Set to four in one mode (Default)
i2cset -y 10 0x24 0x24 0x00
1 Like

Question 1: Driver Installation
The 16MP Quad-Camera Kit(B0388) and 15-Meter Cable Extension Kit(U6248) require the “low speed” version of the driver:

wget -O install_pivariety_pkgs.sh https://github.com/ArduCAM/Arducam-Pivariety-V4L2-Driver/releases/download/install_script/install_pivariety_pkgs.sh
chmod +x install_pivariety_pkgs.s
./install_pivariety_pkgs.sh -p imx519_kernel_driver_low_speed

Question 2: Output the wrong image
Similar to the following image:

The current known problem is that the wrong driver is installed, please refer to the Question 1 to install the driver.

1 Like

Question 3: I cannot use the camera in the Quad-HAT alone.
The camera in the Quad-HAT is a special version, it cannot be used independently of the Quad-HAT.
The normal version of the camera also cannot be used with Quad-HAT for the same reason.
For the difference in hardware, please refer to:

Question 4: Embedded data buffer parsing failed
I encountered the following error when running libcamera-still:

[0:03:06.155175813] [1273] ERROR IPARPI cam_helper.cpp:180 Embedded data buffer parsing failed
[0:03:06.220794407] [1273] ERROR IPARPI cam_helper.cpp:180 Embedded data buffer parsing failed
[0:03:06.287816386] [1273] ERROR IPARPI cam_helper.cpp:180 Embedded data buffer parsing failed

This is because the 16MP Quad-Camera Kit(B0388) and 15-Meter Cable Extension Kit(U6248) do not output Embedded data, you can use the latest SD Card image and install the corresponding libcamera_dev and libcamera_apps, in the latest version we disabled Use of Embedded data.

Question 5: How to use Quad-HAT to capture maximum resolution
There is currently no way to capture four images at maximum resolution at the same time, but you can switch the Quad-HAT to single-channel mode and shoot one channel at a time.
For channel switching, please refer to:

Hello everyone just wanted to share, a potential solution to the static image problem with the imx519 quadhat,

I just got mine and I am using a raspberry pi 4b and I encountered this problem and a fix I found was to use the Bullseye 2022-1-28 release raspian image
( Index of /raspios_armhf/images/raspios_armhf-2022-01-28 )

which after following this guide:
( https://www.arducam.com/downloads/synchronized-quad-camera-kit-getting-started.pdf )

works perfectly, but I do hope that the arducam team could help fix the issue because as of 8 Dec 2022 the Bullseye 2022-9-22 release it is still not supported (or it doesnt work for me)

I found the solution on this forum thread ( IMX519 output purple static on quad hat - #17 by erikh ) and would like to thank @Dion and @ok755 for helping find a solution

just wanted to post incase some one is having the same issue