RPI Zero 1.3 + 16mpx IMX519 -> illegal operation

Thank you very much!

After the script ist updated, will this work with the latest kernel 6.x after using rpi-update?

@tina

Sure. dont worry about that.

@Edward This effectively means we don’t use your special version of libcamera but the standard one with just that one json file updated. Are we loosing any features that your build of libcamera possibly contains?

@jhud

Yes, this is only a temporary solution for you.
AF will be slower, but otherwise the same.
It will not affect your development with picamera2.

1 Like

Heads up: full resolution works on my Pi zero w

@spm Could you post your sample image pls?

How did you manage this?
I thought the RAM of the pi zero is not sufficient?

Thanks Dion for the excellent remote support.
Thanks the support team for quick responses in the forum.
This is very reassuring - one feels great as customer.

It seems that the cable has some issues.
I could not get the Arducam original one, so used 3rd party.

It seems though that the zero is not powerfull enough for the camera.
zero 2 is not available so we are going with CM4.

If there is interest, will report here how it goes.

Hello @jonasrejman

It seems though that the zero is not powerfull enough for the camera.

In what regards? It works for my use-case. Full resolution capture is also possible (for that add dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-256) - that of course depends on how memory demanding software you want to run there but at least I can confirm this works from the command line with libcamera-still).

I’m now more concerned about image quality. Everyone testing the camera reported great results and quality and to me it seems very comparable to my old cheap unofficial 5mpx OV5647 from AliExpress. Could the cable affect quality? :thinking:

Thanks for the thoughts.

I did set cma-128 or cma-96 as per forum tips.

The memory demand is low - there is nothing on the zero and its the lite version installed.
This is supposed to be a “raw image making machine” - everything else is meant to be done after offloading.

I cannot test the quality, because of the flawed adapter cable from camera to pi zero interface.

Maybe not the cable, but some interference or a faulty camera module?
Hard to say, but I would try a different camera module.

@jhud : Here’s a sample image I just took on Pi Zero W: (forum software downsized it from 4656x3496 px)

libcamera-still -n -o output.jpg

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
(default value)

Might check this thread also: Not enough buffers provided by V4L2VideoDevice on RPi3B · Issue #144 · raspberrypi/libcamera-apps · GitHub

Hello again, I keep getting a “no cameras available!” error, anyone have any thoughts?

@corkyskier

Don’t worry. If you still can’t use the camera, I can help you remotely.
Did you make an appointment remotely?

@jhud
I saw that the quality of @spm’s shooting is very good. Is it related to being indoors? You can try it outdoors. If the outdoor effect is very good, it means that the indoor effect needs to be adjusted with parameters. If the outdoor effect is not good, it means that the lens or the sensor may be dirty. You can try to talk to the dealer about replacing it.

@jonasrejman
You are welcome.

I have not made an appointment remotely.

@jhud @LoKau @corkyskier @spm @jonasrejman @tina

I have released a new deb, please re-execute the installation command to try again.

Thank you Edward!

For future reference, could you please always add WHICH command - just that the newcomers like myself don’t get lost in the info?

I just connected 2x 16MP cameras to a CM4 - works like a charm.

Could you please advise me how to convert the .raw format from the cameras into an RGB image?
I am not sure where to find the library.

Many Thanks!

@jonasrejman

Sure.

sudo apt remove libcamera0
wget -O install_pivariety_pkgs.sh https://github.com/ArduCAM/Arducam-Pivariety-V4L2-Driver/releases/download/install_script/install_pivariety_pkgs.sh
chmod +x ./install_pivariety_pkgs.sh
./install_pivariety_pkgs.sh -l
./install_pivariety_pkgs.sh -p libcamera
./install_pivariety_pkgs.sh -p libcamera_apps

You can try my specially written software:

Hi,

Many thanks for the support.
It works properly on my device.
Thanks!

4 posts were split to a new topic: IMX519 ISO aperture control