now that i look at ur picture again, it does actually have autofocus written on it, but in different place than mine.
i think its still probably arducam 64mp autofocus camera but just maybe later release than mine thats why there are differences.
now that i look at ur picture again, it does actually have autofocus written on it, but in different place than mine.
i think its still probably arducam 64mp autofocus camera but just maybe later release than mine thats why there are differences.
Would that affect anything? Also would you mind if I messaged you on an easier platform? Maybe if you have an email or something. That way I can send more images and code easier. I feel like I’m on the cusp of getting this thing to work, but I’m sort of new to this stuff. Lmk man, thanks for your help.
I’m cst time zone and it’s bothering me so much I can’t sleep.
This is the way I connect it to the arducam.
Do you really think it could be the cables? If you do, can you send me an Amazon link to the one(s) you use? I didn’t think the brand would make a difference.
This is the way I connected it to the pi:
https://www.kiwi-electronics.com/en/raspberry-pi-camera-cable-standard-mini-500mm-11590
this is the text my camera cable has on but 500 instead of 200
i have already given u all the advice i possibly can, if none that works then only thing for you left to do is to repent and ask for divine guidance.
Hi @Bigbootyfish
The camera module you purchased is owleye camera which is our newly released 64mp product. You need to refer to the link below to drive this camera.
https://docs.arducam.com/Raspberry-Pi-Camera/Native-camera/64MP-OV64A40/#software
Besides, I’m worried about the camera you are using is not compatible with this camera module.The cable as @henri mentioned is practical. Can you get one or do you have the 22-15 pin cable from Arducam like the one below?
@Dion hey man, first off, thanks so much for reaching out to my posts. Means a lot.
What specifically did you mean by this:
“Besides, I’m worried about the camera you are using is not compatible with this camera module.”
I use camera and camera module interchangeably and I wasn’t sure there was a difference. I thought they were one and the same. Would I not be able to follow Henri’s steps in using this camera version?
When I ordered the owleye camera, it only came with a single standard white 15 pin cable, that could connect to a pi 4 ribbon cable connector.
Can I drive the camera using that link and then follow Henri’s steps to get it to work with libcamera?
Here’s another cable I have. I got it when I purchased a set of standard 15 pin cables which happened to come with this single arducam 15 to 22 pin cable. Please let me know if this would work:
If not, do you have an Amazon link, or ribbon cable model name I should specifically look for from Amazon? I want to take advantage of their fast delivery lol.
Again, thanks for the help, really appreciate it. Same to you @henri
this is the camera i use. see the text placements are different than yours
it is possible that your camera is meant for quad hat - that wont work directly connected to RPI.
So I received that exact same model you’re using. I plugged it in, and still, “no cameras available”. I changed the orientation of the ribbon cable all 4 ways, and it didn’t work. I’m gonna try using the lite version and following the steps because nothing is working. It’s worth noting I tried connecting a Raspberry Pi HQ camera, and the camera was detected but unsuccessful in running.
also what u can try is:
i dont think u need to install libcamera_dev with the python scripts as the driver is already installed, you just need to enable it with changes to config.txt, u only need to install libcamera_apps as it has the necessary json file gets installed then.
by default when u flash raspberry os lite u already have libcamera-apps installed but its not the right one and can not detect the camera thats why u need to install libcamera-apps from what i understand. and make sure the proper libcamera-apps is used when u write libcamera-still etc commands to command like, u can check where its located with whereis libcamera-still
the ribbon cable was connected properly on your images
Is it the 64-bit Lite version or the 32-bit Lite version?
and would you mind writing the revised bash code for the installs? I don’t want to mess it up.
64-bit. and i usually enable ssh in the rpi-imager settings and set login username password and also hostname
just look at my original instructions
and dont forget that boot is needed after changing config.txt
This is my first time using an OS without a desktop environment. The screen is supposed to look like this right? It’s hideous. If I follow your steps using this, how will I ever get a preview of the camera if it does work?
Alright. It worked. Here’s what I did:
-I downloaded the lite 64 bookworm.
-I sshed into my pi.
-I installed by copy pasting your code for single arducam64
-Then I went to “sudo nano /boot/config.txt”
-It mentioned that that was moved to “/boot/firmware/config.txt”
"dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512
dtoverlay=arducam-64mp
sudo reboot"
right under [all]
So now, im new to using lib camera. Any video you can link me to learn how to use it. Or use it with the arducam?
Also, is there any desktop install I can use in conjunction with this? I want to be able to go to my files and see footage and captured images.
My intention is to have a camera in my room that will record footage. More specifically when it senses movement in the room.
If anyone has any advice for that ^ please let me know. Any links, tips, guides, etc. would be very much appreciated.
just look at libcamera-still source code on how its used. or this example thats based on edwards example
just ignore the readme instructions as they are not relevant anymore
also i reccommend to use USB or SSD instead of SD Card as it is 10x slower.
Thanks. Do you think I’ll be able to accomplish my goal after reading through that?
And what about a desktop? I saw someone in another forum mention using a desktop in conjunction with the desktopless Bookworm Lite.
Also any fix for the network connecting problem?
Do you have any recommendations on a USB or SSD I can buy? I’ll follow your advice.
Sorry for the incompetency, I hope you’re not disuaded to help, but much of this is new to me. The entire GitHub is in C++ and C, and I’m still a beginner at those languages. i was hoping for a guide for bash commands. At the moment, I’m still trying to learn how to record a 10 second video, but chatgpt keeps giving me incorrect commands.
since your main goal is to record video. the easiest way to do it is to use the libcamera-vid command line tool. this way you dont need to learn the libcamera API which is rather complex. just use the libcamera-vid --help to see possible options. with this tool u should be able to show preview at the same time while recording video if u need to show preview also.
u can either flash again with desktop OS or install desktop manager to your lite os, google for instructions or ask chatgpt.
https://pibenchmarks.com/ u can see different storage options and see how fast they are
To run the benchmark paste/type: sudo curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TheRemote/PiBenchmarks/master/Storage.sh | sudo bash
use this command to see how fast read and write is on your sd card and then u can compare it to OS thats on your USB. for example on my sd card read write was ~ 80mb/s & 40mb/s but on OS thats on my USB 3.0 (the blue socket in pi) read and write was ~800mb/s & 400mb/s
the link i posted is my fork from edwards c++ camera demo its the simplest example that i found to understand how libcamera API works. edwards code does not compile anymore with latest libcamera since the transform parameter was replace with rotation parameter, but mine compiles since i updated it.
If u still need personalized coaching we could do video conversation for 50€ per hour.
Thanks for the useful advice. Another thing while I learn options from libcamera-vid --help: do you think it’ll be easier to find or write a script that will record video footage only if motion is detected in front of the camera? Or is it easier to have the camera record footage indefinitely but delete footage from the beginning continuously when storage capacity is approaching maximum?
My intention is to use this arducam as a security camera in a room, and have only necessary footage saved, for instance if someone else was there without me present. Im working on learning about ports so that way I can watch the live stream from a safari browser on my iPhone.
im pretty sure such solution already exists just need to google or ask chatgpt