Where to find 64MP Arducam Hawkeye driver for Ubuntu 24 on Pi 5?

Hi all, I’m running into a wall getting my Arducam 64MP Hawkeye working on a Raspberry Pi 5 with Ubuntu 24 installed. Everything I find seems to assume Raspberry Pi OS. Is there a driver or some instructions for Ubuntu on the Pi 5? I’d appreciate any pointers.

Thanks for the post. We actually do have a 64MP Hawkeye driver for Ubuntu OS on the Pi 5 and Pi 4, so you should be able to use the camera under Ubuntu 24. Let me get you pointed in the right direction.

That’s good to hear. Where do I actually find that driver? I’ve been digging around and I only see Raspberry Pi OS downloads, nothing labeled for Ubuntu 24. Could you link me or give me the install steps?

I have to correct myself here — my earlier message was a mistake. We don’t have a driver for the 64MP Hawkeye on Ubuntu OS. I’m checking with the engineer who handles our older camera staging/bring-up work to see if the 64MP can be made to work on Ubuntu at all. I’ll let you know what I find.

No worries. So does that mean there’s any solution to access the 64MP Hawkeye on Ubuntu OS, even an unofficial workaround? I’d rather keep Ubuntu 24 on the Pi 5 if I can.

From what I’ve confirmed so far, no — right now there isn’t a solution to access the 64MP camera on Ubuntu OS. We don’t have a driver or a supported path for it on Ubuntu at the moment, so this combination is currently unsupported.

That’s a bummer, but thanks for being upfront. Are there any other Arducam cameras that do work with Ubuntu OS on the Pi 5? I’m not attached to the 64MP specifically.

The 64MP Hawkeye is definitely a no-go on Ubuntu for now. For other models it depends — a lot of our cameras rely on libcamera, and how that behaves on Ubuntu versus Raspberry Pi OS can be different. Which model were you thinking, and I’ll check whether it’s supported?

I’m open to whichever Arducam model actually works on a Pi 5 running Ubuntu. The thing I keep running into is that libcamera isn’t available on Ubuntu OS, at least not like it is on Raspberry Pi OS. So if a camera depends on libcamera, I can’t use it. What are the options for accessing any Arducam camera on a Raspberry Pi 5 with Ubuntu OS?

Let me sum up where things stand. For the 64MP Hawkeye, there’s currently no driver and no supported way to access it on Ubuntu OS on the Pi 5 — that’s confirmed. For other Arducam cameras on Ubuntu, it comes down to how each one is exposed: most of our recent models depend on libcamera, and since libcamera isn’t readily available on Ubuntu OS on the Pi 5 the way it is on Raspberry Pi OS, that really narrows things down. I don’t have a confirmed working alternative to point you to right now, and I’m still checking with our team on the older bring-up side to see if there’s any non-libcamera/V4L2 path that could help. If I get more info I’ll post it here.

Is there still no Ubuntu driver for the 64MP Hawkeye? These cameras are just expensive e-waste.