Using the C++ SDK to write a ROS node for the MT9J001

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?

robotshop.de

1. Model number of the product(s)?
    MT9J001

2. What hardware/platform were you working on?
    Raspberry Pi 4

Hello,

I have got the MT9J001 to work with a Rev.D shield both using the C++ streaming demo and the Python ROS node.
However, the Python ROS node doesn’t work at full resolution (10MP), only with the cfg files at lower resolution.

The C++ demo works at full resolution, so I attempted to write a ROS node for it, but I cannot compile it in ROS. I get the following error:

/home/ubuntu/build_ws/src/camera/src/camera_node.cpp:35:1: error: ‘ArduCamCfg’ does not name a type
 ArduCamCfg cameraCfg;
 ^
/home/ubuntu/build_ws/src/camera/src/camera_node.cpp:51:18: error: ‘uint8’ was not declared in this scope
 cv::Mat JPGToMat(uint8* bytes, int length) {
                  ^
/home/ubuntu/build_ws/src/camera/src/camera_node.cpp:51:25: error: ‘bytes’ was not declared in this scope
                         ^
/home/ubuntu/build_ws/src/camera/src/camera_node.cpp:51:32: error: expected primary-expression before ‘int’
                                ^
/home/ubuntu/build_ws/src/camera/src/camera_node.cpp:51:44: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘;’ before ‘{’ token
                                            ^
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/camera_node.dir/src/camera_node.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/camera_node.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
cd /home/ubuntu/build_ws/build/camera; catkin build --get-env camera | catkin env -si  /usr/bin/make --jobserver-fds=6,7 -j; cd -

Should it be possible to do this?

Is there any error message? Maybe we can fix it.

I made some further investigation, the function that slows everything down in the Python ROS node is:

img_msg = bridge.cv2_to_imgmsg(image)

It seems to be a rclpy issue (see https://github.com/ros-perception/vision_opencv/issues/285)

The exact errors I will have to check later, it is something like USB_CAMERA_DATA_LEN_ERROR RECEIVE_LENGTH

In Python I tried to software trigger the camera. It works, but the frame rate is under 1Hz which really isn’t enough (I would like at least 2Hz).

I expect that the equivalent function in C++( sensor_msgs::ImagePtr msg = cv_bridge::CvImage(std_msgs::Header(), “bgr8”, image).toImag) is faster.

It is possible that a ROS wrapper for the C++ code would solve the problem. To do that, I would need to build a c++ code containing both Arducam libraries etc and ROS. My knowledge of make and catkin is currently not sufficient for this.

This error seems to be that the header file is not included correctly, you can check whether the header file search path is set correctly.

Hi, I had to work on something else for a while. Now I’m testing the MT9J001 again.

Previously, I was using a usb 2.0 shield. Now Im using a usb 3.0 shield.
With the USB 2.0 shield, the Python ROS node worked, however, with the USB 3.0 shield (UC-593 Rev.C) I can get the Streaming demo to work but when using the ROS node I get ‘open fail, rtn val=65281’
I have replaced the ArducamSDK.so in the arducam_usb2_ros/src file with the one in the RaspberryPi/Python/Streaming_demo file. (this is on a Raspberry Pi 4)

It might be a permissions issue, you can try editing the udev rules.
See:
arducam.rules (353 Bytes)

Thanks, that worked. I wrote a ROS node based on the Python Streaming example as the existing ROS node can’t seem to handle large images for some reason.

Now I’m having another issue: although I have set all the analog gains (and global analog gain) to the same value and all the digital gains to the same value, I still get patterning in the image. The green pixels are lighter, despite having exactly the same gain values. I have tried adjusting the gains individually but I don’t understand why this should be necessary.

artifact
artifact2

I have set
REG = 0x0204, 0x65 //this is global analog gain
REG = 0x3032, 0x100 // these are all the digital gains
REG = 0x3034, 0x100
REG = 0x3036, 0x100
REG = 0x3038, 0x100

I tried a variety of the config files in the folder:
ArduCAM_USB_Camera_Shield-master\Config\USB3.0_UC-593 Rev.C\DVP\MT9J001
INcluding MT9J001_MONO_12b_3664x2748.cfg

In the demo picture on your website there aren’t any artifacts. Do you know which config file was used to make it?

We didn’t find the register you set in the datasheet, can you try setting the analog gain?