low light levels and general image quality on the IMX219-AF

When I use the IMX219-AF on a Jetson Nano and capture frames in either outdoor or indoor lighting, the images I get back are much darker than they should be, more blurry, and more grainy (like high ISO grainy).

It’s not so bad that I can’t tell what I’m looking at, but it makes the camera unusable for any kind of computer vision application. Is there something I might be doing wrong, some configuration I might not have setup?

Also, it seems that unless an object is 3 inches away from the camera, the focal distance must be set to 0 or else everything is so blurry that you can’t make anything out. Should I expect this camera to be able to focus on objects that are 5, 10, 20, 30 feet away?

Hi @vinci, can you tell me the command you used to preview the camera and attach the picture in question?

Sure. The command was “gst-launch-1.0 nvarguscamerasrc num-buffers=1 ! ‘video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), width=3264, height=2464,format=NV12, framerate=21/1’ ! nvjpegenc ! multifilesink location=snap.jpg” and here’s the screenshot. The Christmas tree was about 8 feet away from the camera, and this was with good indoor lighting (it wasn’t dark inside). I cropped this image down to just this part with the Christmas tree. Focus had been set to 0 with “i2cset -y 6 0x0c 0 0”. Larger focus numbers made everything even more blurry.

Hi @vinci,

sorry for my late reply.

It seems that I can do nothing about it.The camera module we provide does not have an ISP.All image processing is done by Jetson Nano’s ISP.