Lens review advice (microscope pcb work) 100x, 130x, 200x (etc) for raspberry pi hq camera module

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?
    adafruit

2. Model number of the product(s)?
    Raspberry Pi High Quality HQ Camera - 12MP

3. What hardware/platform were you working on?
    Raspberry PI 3

4. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.)
    youTube videos, wiki, etc…

5. Problems you were having?
    None yet, expecting many, (doing research)

6. The dmesg log from your hardware?

7. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?
    none to report

8. What help do you need?
    advise

I am trying to pick out a lens to build a microscope camera, boom arm-mount. I do solder work on PCB’s, mostly DIP. I use a 5x large lens mounted on a boom arm now for years, but want to step up to a video feed system, take snapshots, etc…

Confused with the lens selection. I need range, like 12" ideally so I can fit my hands in there, a solder sucker, 3rd-hands, etc… Manual zoom/focus ok now for my first starter solution. What I can not find is a demo comparison to help me choose the right lens. I think the ones that I can fit the barlow on the bottom would be right for me, from what I saw so far they allow me to move the camera up without 2-3" of space between my work. But I do not know which of the 100x, 130x or 200x len’s to start with. Looks like the cheap 100x ones the people need two-hands to adjust the zoom on a cheap plastic housing, which might have plastic lens inside, which I do not want. Then, I do not know if 200x is too strong. I think I only need about 10x - 20x magnification with a good field of view, without creating a bubble-distortion, having everything square and tidy. So I have been trying to pick out a lens, which looks like they have the small levers stick out, which shows me they could be moved by fingers, without needing two-hand force to spin the zoom and focus.

So if anyone has advice, something to add to my research so far I would appreciate. I am waiting for the module to be delivered, so I will be buying a lens within the next few days. I prefer not to waste my money on mistake without knowing that I am getting into. Like a surprise booby-trap; where one not align/work with the HQ imx477 sensor size on this module.

Hi,
Please contact [email protected] for further advice. And please post this thread in the email.