Installation ToF camera fails on Bookworm (Could not open device node /dev/video0)

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?
    SOS Solutions Netherlands

2. Model number of the product(s)?
    Arducam ToF camera Rev. B

3. What hardware/platform were you working on?
    Raspberry Pi 4B 4Gb

4. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.)
    according to website/pdf/github

5. Problems you were having?
    Error after installation:
    open WARNING Could not open device node /dev/video0. Please check for permissions.
    initialization failed

6. The dmesg log from your hardware?
    Happy to provide if needed.

7. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?
    To exclude HW issues I re - inserted Buster OS, than it worked fine, so no defect camera. So it must be the settings or Bookworm OS specifics, not sure where to start. See below for result of ls /dev/video*

8. What help do you need?
    Please provide a solution for the initialisation problem in Bookworm 64 bit.

If I check with ls /dev/video* I get:
/dev/video10 /dev/video13 /dev/video16 /dev/video20 /dev/video23
/dev/video11 /dev/video14 /dev/video18 /dev/video21 /dev/video31
/dev/video12 /dev/video15 /dev/video19 /dev/video22

I used a fresh install of Bookworm 64 bit, I commented camera_auto_detect=0 out. So config.txt setting seems to be the same as with Buster (the working version).

2 Likes

I have the same problem also on Bookworm 64 bit. Hopefully Arducam will fix this ASAP because Bookworm is the default and recommended OS on Raspberry Pi since October 2023. I have not dug any deeper into the errors or the install scripts (nor should we have to).

The other issue is Python support. As of Bookworm it is more or less mandatory to use virtual environments and not install Python dependencies system wide. I tried running the script “Install_dependencies_python.sh” which also reported errors.
E: Package ‘libcblas-dev’ has no installation candidate.
E: Unable to locate package libjasper-dev.
E: Package ‘libqtgui4’ has no installation candidate.
E: Unable to locate package libqt4-test
error: externally-managed-environment
For more information visit Raspberry Pi Documentation - Raspberry Pi OS

1 Like

Hi
Tof camera is not compatible with the Bookworm OS for now.

1 Like

@Dion is there a ETA on this one? :call_me_hand:

Hi
We will release the support in two weeks.

4 Likes

Hi, I have just received my 64MP and ToF cameras for Pi5 Bookworm. Is there any update on getting both cameras to work together such as the configs, drivers, special instructions, etc.? Cheers!

Hi
Sorry, the main developer of Tof cameras asked the leave until Christmas. Hence, the compatibility for Tof cameras on Pi 5 is postponed. For now, you can just use 64mp camera on Pi 5.

1 Like

Meanwhile,can you share the working configs and driver needed for the Pi5 Bookworm. I am using the ToF with the imx708 autofocus, imx708 m12 manual, and 64mp using the camera-mux-4port multi camera oard v2.2. Just want to test the setup with and without the ToF for the time being. Cheers!

Does anyone know what settings we should be using on Pi 5 bookworm? Cheers!

Hi,
Tof camera is not compatible with camera-mux-4port board. For imx708 and 64mp camera, maybe you can refer to the link below to set the camera driver as you want.
https://docs.arducam.com/Raspberry-Pi-Camera/Multi-Camera-CamArray/Quick-Start-Guide-for-Multi-Adapter-Board/#run-the-multi-camera

1 Like

Can you share the manual config.txt settings for using the ToF without the mux board? Are the following setting correct?

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=spi=on
camera_auto_detect=0
max_framebuffers=30
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512
usb_max_current_enable=1
dtparam=uart0=on
otg_mode=1
dtoverlay=imx708,cam0
dtoverlay=arducam-tof

Adding my interest here for Bookworm support for the ToF camera.

1 Like

Hey @Dion was there any update to timelines for this?

1 Like

Hi,
I’m urging the engineer who is reponsible for Tof camera to finish the compatibility.
Sorry for the bothering.

3 Likes

No stress @Dion. just trying to plan timelines :slight_smile: Appreciate the response

1 Like

Hi @Dion, Just want to follow up again to see if there is any good news. It would be great if there is any guesstimate timeline on getting the fix. Cheers!

3 Likes

Hello, @Dion. Was there an ETA on this one yet? Cheers :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Hi @AsianUncleSam @misha_vee
Good news. The tof camera is compatible with the Raspberry Pi 5 currently. Please follow the link below to update the firmware of tof camera:
https://docs.arducam.com/Raspberry-Pi-Camera/Tof-camera/Troubleshooting/#4-cannot-be-used-on-raspberry-pi5

2 Likes

:green_heart:
Will try it immediately, thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Thanks guys!
Will try and let you know, allthough the update page ends a bit in a cliffhanger?

Next:
For Raspberry Pi 4 users and Raspberry Pi 5 users who have updated the camera firmware, please refer to the following content to continue using the camera:

Is more coming?

Keep up the good work!

Regards, Frank.

1 Like