IMX462 Pivariety Drivers Low Light Settings with Picamera2

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)? Utronics

2. Model number of the product(s)? Arducam B0333 IMX462

3. What hardware/platform were you working on? Raspberry Pi 4B with Bookworm

4. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.) Quick Start - Arducam Wiki
    I am using dtoverlay=arducam-pivariety on my config file, I’ve read online that others have used imx290 drivers but the camera doesn’t work for me with that.

5. Problems you were having? I am running the IMX462 camera through a python script using Picamera2, regardless of the settings I change, I’m not able to get any sort of picture in even slightly dark environments. I’ve cranked up exposure times, analogue gain, other relevant settings, etc. but while it turns the whole picture in a lighted room into a washed out mess it still goes completely black if the room is dimmed or the sun starts to set.

6. The dmesg log from your hardware?
    too long to include, I can try to upload in chunks if someone needs

7. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?
    I got the list of camera settings using
    from picamera2 import Picamera2
    picam2 = Picamera2()
    picam2.camera_controls
    which output these settings:
    {‘Sharpness’: (0.0, 16.0, 1.0), ‘AwbEnable’: (False, True, None), ‘Contrast’: (0.0, 32.0, 1.0), ‘Saturation’: (0.0, 32.0, 1.0), ‘Brightness’: (-1.0, 1.0, 0.0), ‘AeFlickerPeriod’: (100, 1000000, None), ‘HdrMode’: (0, 4, 0), ‘ExposureValue’: (-8.0, 8.0, 0.0), ‘ColourGains’: (0.0, 32.0, None), ‘StatsOutputEnable’: (False, True, None), ‘ScalerCrop’: ((0, 0, 0, 0), (65535, 65535, 65535, 65535), (0, 0, 0, 0)), ‘ExposureTime’: (0, 66666, None), ‘AeEnable’: (False, True, None), ‘NoiseReductionMode’: (0, 4, 0), ‘AeConstraintMode’: (0, 3, 0), ‘FrameDurationLimits’: (33333, 120000, None), ‘AnalogueGain’: (1.0, 16.0, None), ‘AeFlickerMode’: (0, 1, 0), ‘AwbMode’: (0, 7, 0), ‘AeMeteringMode’: (0, 3, 0), ‘AeExposureMode’: (0, 3, 0)}

I’ve been able to modify the settings that seemed relevant in my script, and while some are noticable like analogue gain. exposure time, and exposure value, some don’t seem to have a noticeable effect enabled or disabled like AeEnable, which I would assume overrides my exposure settings if it’s true but doesn’t do anything on or off. I’ve messed around with most of them, but nothing seems to change the terrible low light performance, which is in direct contrast to what people online have praised about this camera.

1. What help do you need?
    I’d like to know what I can do to allow the camera to unlock its advertised potential, it could be that the pivariety driver doesn’t have all the needed settings to enable noIR cameras, but if so how do I get drivers more specific to the IMX462. Or if there is a setting that I haven’t tried yet that maybe appears in the list that would allow it to see in lower light settings.

Hi,
Ultra-low light does not mean the dark condition.

Could you post some pictures to clarify it?

This is a picture from my phone, in person you can make out most of the detail in the backyard but the image is much darker than in person. It’s a well lit night
I’m apparently not allowed to upload more than one image at a time so this will have to be divided up.

The second is an image from a RunCam Night Eagle 3 via an analog oled display

The third image is the IMX462 on the same display, which supposedly has better performance than the NE3. Apologies for the poor quality, the image is almost completely black except for the lights in the distance from houses, it doesn’t even pick up the light from the doorway. I’m running this in a portable setup and I haven’t set up a method to take and extract screenshots from the Pi, but I can if more clarification is needed. The camera works fine in normal lighting conditions.
I was thinking it was a problem with the arducam-pivariety drivers not having all the appropriate settings needed to enable a noIR camera like the IMX462, but I haven’t read of anyone else having these problems online.