How to connect Arducam Quadrascopic Camera Bundle Kit (B0331) to Jetson Orin Nano Dev Kit

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?

Purchased from here Arducam 1MP*4 Quadrascopic Camera Bundle Kit for Raspberry Pi, Nvidia Jetson Nano/Xavier NX, Four OV9782 Global Shutter Color Camera Modules and Camarray Camera HAT

1. Model number of the product(s)?

B0331

1. What hardware/platform were you working on?

Nvidia Jetson Orin Nano Dev Kit and Nvidia Jetson Xavier Nx board with seedstudio’s A206 Carrier board (should be compatible with the official dev carrier board design)

1. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.)

We followed the instruction here to connect 4 OV9782 cameras to the multicam array HAT board. Then the difference I made is that I have to connect the HAT board to Jetson Orin Nano’s camera0/1 socket using a 22pin FFC cable instead of the 22-to-15 pin cable provided by the camera kit since Orin Nano has a different camera port design.

1. Problems you were having?

Right after I connect the MIPI cable, the cable start burning and I have to disconnect it right away to avoid any further hardware damage.

1. The dmesg log from your hardware?

We don’t think this is a driver issue so we didn’t check the dmesg log.

1. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?

We connected the array HAT board to Seedstudio’s A206 carrier board (designed for Xavier NX) which is a 15 pin port using the cable provided with the bundle and everything works. Since the major difference related to this issue between Xavier NX and Orin Nano board is the camera connection port, we looked into the carrier board specification for both and found the root cause of the burning:

Here is the camera connector pin description for Jetson Xavier Nx carrier board:

And the image below is the description for Orin Nano:

Where we can see for Xavier NX the first pin is GND and the last pin is for +3.3V, while this is reversed for Orin Nano. And when we make the direct connection between the array HAT board to orin nano’s camera board, we are actually connecting GND to +3.3V and +3.3V to GND and this causes the circuit shortcut which burned the cable.

1. What help do you need?

Would like to know what’s the correct solution to connect the array HAT board to orin nano board.

1 Like

Hi Yuan,

We’re trying to do the same thing, for the ribbon from the Jetson Orin Nano to the CamArray Hat you need to use a 22pin to 22pin that flips the contact side, if you look at the ribbons included with B0331 to connect the cameras to the Hat you can see what I mean.

Using a flipped ribbon cable we have the cameras showing up as video devices correctly, however we haven’t successfully got video out of them yet so this may not be the final solution.

Regards,
Matthew

Eventually got it working by switching to CAM1 port, apparently CAM0 is not supported at this point

Hi MattTav,
Yeah, strange. For now, more and more customers reflect that the CAM0 is not working but CAM1 is working. We prepare to check the deep reason. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

1 Like