Autofocus problem with Arducam 16MP Autofocus USB Camera IMX298 Mini UVC USB2.0 (SKU: B029001)

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?
    UCTRONICS

2. Model number of the product(s)?
    SKU: B029001

3. What hardware/platform were you working on?
    RaspberryPi 4 B

4. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.)
    UVC Cameras on Linux - Arducam Wiki

5. Problems you were having?
    I have two identical cameras connected to the RPi, and both cameras are at 9 inches from the target with the target in the center of the field of view and filling about 30-40% if the view. One of the two cameras always refocuses when I start it in VLC Media Player, but the other does not. I have tried changing lighting, but that does not help. The scene is well lit. I can see a little bit of adjustment in the image quality over the first few seconds, but then it stops at a point where the balance / lighting is good, but the image is out of focus.

6. The dmesg log from your hardware?
    Let me know how to get this for you if you need it.

7. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?
    Changing lighting, restarting RPi, power cycling RPi

8. What help do you need?
    Is there a way to control the focus of this camera manually or to set the part of the field of view that is used to fid focus? Any other suggestions to get the focus to work?

(I abandoned my previously purchased Arducam 12MP stereo camera array because manual focus was not possible, even though the distance is fixed. I could simply never get good focus. So, I am depending on autofocus for my application.)

Hi,
It seems that the focus algorithm has a lot of interference from the receiving light. The camera focuses at the center, so we need to confirm that the light in the center of the image does not fluctuate much. Can you try another scene to see if the camera will focus frequently?