64MP video in python OpenCV

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?
    Arducam.com

2. Model number of the product(s)?
    64MP

3. What hardware/platform were you working on?
    Raspberry PI 4 (Bullseye)

4. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.)

5. Problems you were having?
    Before: With a cheap camera in raspi Buster, from my python script I could specify video settings and then capture frames with Open CV.

camera_setup_result = os.system(“v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl=scene_mode=0,brightness=60,auto_exposure=1,exposure_time_absolute=20,iso_sensitivity_auto=0,iso_sensitivity=4”)
vid=cv2.VideoCapture()
vid.open(0,apiPreference=cv2.CAP_V4L2)

As 64MP Arducam makes me use Bullseye, this method doesn’t work anymore.

1. The dmesg log from your hardware?

7. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?
I have try many workarounds for days without much success:
In Bullseye:
A. try to use the same code but v2l4-ctl -l doesn’t show any command to be modified).
B. try to use your library (How to use code to access libcamera(C++/Python) - #27 by Hosken79) but it seems to be a little bit slow and doesn’t allow me to change all parameters available in libcamera-vid.

8. What help do you need?
I would like to know which one is the best workaround for doing what I was doing before (in a python script, settling video specs like shutter speed, resolution, gain, fps, etc and then start capturing frames (in order to post processing them with ML).

Hi, @andrestreebo

You can try to use Picamera2. It is the Libcamera Python packaging library with the Raspberry Pi.

@andrestreebo
I’m having the same issue. How did your code end up looking? I’m trying to open the video feed and grab frames for a CNN.

Hello,

eventually I end up using Picamera2 library. Once installed, there are many many examples in their github about how to capture frames. They have a pdf with documentation for commands as well.

In my case, I had raspbian OS 32bit and i had to fresh install 64 bits version for Picamera2 to work properly with Arducam.

@andrestreebo

Glad you got it working properly.

Maybe there is some other error that causes 32-bit systems not to work.

Picamera2 supports both 32-bit and 64-bit.
If you encounter the same problem next time, you can take a screenshot and show me.