Using a sensor extension cable with an IMX219 and UVC USB2.0 module

I have an IMX219 module and the associated UVC USB2.0 board. The module works great when plugged in directly, but when plugged in with the sensor cable I do not get data back from the module. I’ve tried with macOS and with Android, and see the same results.

Why does this not work with the UVC board but does with the standard IMX219 breakout board? Is it because of signal integrity issues?

if it’s because of integrity, can I cut and splice the extension cable to reduce its length and overcome signal issues? I only need the cable to be 5-10cm long.

@kubark42

Why does this not work with the UVC board but does with the standard IMX219 breakout board? Is it because of signal integrity issues?

This should work, can you take a hardware connection diagram

if it’s because of integrity, can I cut and splice the extension cable to reduce its length and overcome signal issues? I only need the cable to be 5-10cm long.

Not allowed to do so.We have not tried it and do not guarantee its feasibility.

Works (ArduCAM RPi breakout board with IMX219 and sensor extension cable):

P.S.: Apologies for spreading this out across three posts, because I’m a new user the forum software will not let me upload multiple images to a single post.

Works (ArduCAM UVC board with IMX219):

Does not work (ArduCAM UVC board with IMX219 and extension cable):

Do you have a specific software package you’d like me to try for this? I was using PhotoBooth on macOS and UVCCamera on Android.

@kubark42

Please wait, I will check with my colleague

@kubark42

Please contact me at [email protected] ,
Please include a link to the forum, I have some ideas for a solution.

Done. Thanks, and looking forward to continuing this conversation by email.

@kubark42

After you send the email, please let me know on the forum as well so I can confirm that it was sent correctly.

Thanks for checking in on me, I had written the email yesterday but somehow it hadn’t sent. I can confirm it has now been sent.

Any progress on this? Can you guys confirm that it either works on your end or does not work?

@kubark42

I apologize, I had a few high priority jobs that caused me to forget about this.

I’ll send you the tool next week, I’m off work now. Again, sorry.

Hi, any progress on this?

@kubark42

I’ve asked my colleague to send it to you a long time ago, didn’t you get the email?

Please let me check with them again.

Thanks, just got it! I’ll upload the new firmware and report back.

Firmware worked perfectly, I can now use the extension cable with my ArduCam UVC module.

@Edward,

1. is it okay if I post the firmware file here in case anyone else has the same problem?
  2. Is the firmware file good for all sensors, or only the IMX219?

@kubark42

These documents are publicly available, so don’t worry.
The file is only available for imx219.

The reason we don’t disclose the firmware directly is not because we want to keep the files confidential, upgrading the firmware is not the best way to solve the problem. When we determine that a user needs to upgrade, we will recommend that they do so.