Trouble with Adafruit "Huzzah32" Esp32 and ArduCAM-Mini-2MP-Plus

Hi guys. I’m burnt out on trying to get these two to work together. The ArduCam the Mini 2MP Plus with the OV2640 camera, and I’m trying to interface it with an Adafruit “Huzzah” ESP32 standalone unit (one of these https://www.adafruit.com/product/3619 ).

I haven’t been able to find any libraries for use specifically with esp32, but I have found some example sketches for things like the esp8266, which as far as I understand is very similar if not almost identical in terms of GPIO and functionality. Of course, I mainly just match up the pins on the ArduCam Mini 2MP with their respective labeled ports on the Huzzah32. The only one that doesn’t have a specific label is the Chip Select pin, CS. I’ve put that on pin 16 for now.

I’ve tried multiple example sketches from the ArduCAM libraries with the labels of ArduCAM_Mini_2MP_Plus_*, and of ArduCAM_ESP8266_OV2640.

The farthest I’ve gotten was while using ArduCAM_Mini_2MP_Plus_VideoStreaming, it would compile but give me an SPI Interface Error. I’m not sure if anyone has any experience with this, but I can’t seem to get these two devices to work together.

Hi,

Don’t worry and I will try my best to help you.

For the ESP32 board, we have released a Arducam_esp32s_uno development board. You can get it here https://github.com/ArduCAM/ArduCAM_ESP32S_UNO You can refer to those examples in the library

Hi Bin, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and installed the board you mentioned in the Arduino IDE and I’m trying to use one of the example sketches provided by that board now. I’m still getting an SPI Interface Error, so I went ahead and printed to console the port numbers just to see which GPIO pins they are tied to. Here are the results:

ArduCAM Start!
FF
MOSI: 23
MISO: 19
SS: 5
SCK: 18
SDA: 21
SCL: 22
CS: 17
SPI1 interface Error!

The Huzzah32’s pins for SDA, SCL, SCK, MOSI, and MISO are different numbers from this, but I’ve tried both using the printed GPIO pins to attach the ArduCAM, but still getting an SPI Interface Error. I feel like it should be very close to working as this was the least trouble I had as far as uploading a sketch with zero errors. Please let me know if there’s a better way to confirm pin connections. For the record, the Huzzah32’s pins are these:

MOSI: 18
MISO: 19
SCK: 5
SDA: 23
SCL: 22
and as per the sketch, I’m using Tx/17 for the CS pin.

Here’s a basic picture of the Huzzah32

One more thing to add that may or may not be causing a problem. I notice that the ArduCAM_ESP32_Capture example from this board’s examples has two pins that it uses to enable the camera. A CS pin and a CAM_POWER_ON pin. The CS pin is defaulted to 17 which is the ESP32’s Tx pin, which makes sense, but the default CAM_POWER_ON pin is D10, but I’m not sure where this is supposed to connect with the Mini-2MP-Plus module, since it only has CS, MOSI, MISO, SCK, GND, VCC, SDA, and SCL, all of which have their own corresponding pins on the ESP32 if we include our specified CS pin of 17. So I’m not sure what part the CAM_POWER_ON pin is supposed to play in this specific module.

Hi,

Don’t worry and I will try my best to help you.

About the POWER EN signal, due to our board support low power mode. So we add this signal to control the power of the sensor. When in low power mode, we will make the sensor power to 0.

About the detail pins definition of the board, you can get it here

I’m not sure where the CAM_POWER_ON pin connects to the Mini-2MP-Plus module though. Since this has to do with power, should it replace the VCC pin, which I previously had going to the 3.3v on the huzzah32?

Hi,

If you don’t use our Arducam ESP32 board, you can ignore the POWER_EN pin.