Require support for Arducam 8MP Synchronized stereo 360 Deg camera kit

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?
    Arducam Pivariety 8MP Synchronized Stereo 360° Camera Kit for Raspberry Pi | The Pi Hut

2. Model number of the product(s)?
    UC-512 Rev.D1

3. What hardware/platform were you working on?
    Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5
    Originally Raspian - Buster

4. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.)
    cd ~
    sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y git bc bison flex libssl-dev libncurses5-dev
    sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RPi-Distro/rpi-source/master/rpi-source -O /usr/local/bin/rpi-source
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/rpi-source
    /usr/local/bin/rpi-source -q --tag-update
    mkdir $(uname -r)
    rpi-source -d $(uname -r)

cd ~
git clone GitHub - ArduCAM/Arducam-Pivariety-V4L2-Driver: This driver is used for Arducam mipi camera with Pivariety board
cd Arducam-Pivariety-V4L2-Driver/src

compile dtbo

patch -p1 --dry-run -d /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build -i $(pwd)/…/patchs/arducam_device_tree.patch
patch -p1 -d /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build -i $(pwd)/…/patchs/arducam_device_tree.patch
make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build dtbs

sudo cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/arch/arm/boot/dts/overlays/arducam.dtbo /boot/overlays/arducam.dtbo

manully add dtoverlay=arducam in /boot/config.txt

manully add dtparam=i2c_vc=on in /boot/config.txt

compile arducam.ko

make && sudo make install
sudo depmod
sudo modprobe arducam

// libcamera-dev and libcamera-apps Installation via shell files
wget -O install_pivariety_pkgs.sh https://github.com/ArduCAM/Arducam-Pivariety-V4L2-Driver/releases/download/install_script/install_pivariety_pkgs.sh
chmod +x install_pivariety_pkgs.sh
./install_pivariety_pkgs.sh -p libcamera_dev
./install_pivariety_pkgs.sh -p libcamera_apps
./install_pivariety_pkgs.sh -p kernel_driver

1. Problems you were having?

For the past 5 or 6 Months I have been developing a ROS based project using the camera for stereo vision. Unfortunately, in order to speed the Pi up I decided to run it from SSD hard-drive which required a change in EEPROM, thus the kernel.

Since then the camera kit has not been functional and I cannot develop my project any further.

1. The dmesg log from your hardware?

2. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?

I changed to Bullseye OS and the camera kit works fine.

1. What help do you need?

Unfortunately, I am caught in a situation where:

• ROS does not support Raspberry Pi Bullseye OS.
  • Arducam seem to stopped any support within Raspian-Buster anymore for pivariety, but have not provided a way to use buster (but without any further development provided) i.e. a final support.
    Leaving me in a situation where I can no longer develop my project and have to consider the loss of 5-6 months of hard work developing code and understanding, together with the cost of all the hardware I invested in.

Please, I need some support in either:

• a way to put the camera kit back in time, to work in raspian - buster?
  • Using the instructions I used above could it be developed so that instead of producing a arducam.dtbo that it produces a arducam-pivariety.dtbo, as with Bullseye OS within /boot/overlays?
  • provide me with some instructions to get the camera kit working within an Ubuntu?
  • be provided with some instructions on developing a ubuntu 20.04 Docker image in which LIbcamera can be used to work within Bullseye OS.

Please help and many thanks for your assistance

Dave Baker

1 Like