OV9281 with M12 - overexposure outdoor

Hello,

I am working on the Arducam OV9281 MIPI 1MP Monochrome With M12 using a Raspberry Pi 4.

The camera is fully working indoor, while I am facing some issues outdoor due to sunlight. The resulting image is always overexposed, i.e. almost totally white.

I have tried to set the exposure to the minimum as well as the gain, but nothing changed.

Perhaps a polarizing filter would be useful for such an application, but I have found nothing among Arducam products.

Do you have any suggestion on how to address this issue?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Leonardo

Hello,

Can you attach me some samples about the overexposed time? I will help you check it and find a solution to solve this issue.

Sure, here they are:

1. Indoor with autoexposure enabled. Light is constant over the image. Image quality is good.

Indoor without strong daylight

1. Indoor with autoexposure enabled. Only the windowed door is overexposed due to the daylight outside. Image quality is what we expect.

indoor2

1. Outdoor with autoexposure enabled. Although it is not a backlight picture, we can appreciate details only where the shadow is present.

outdoor1

Outdoor2

We have tried also to manually set exposure to the minimum value instead of using autoexposure, but no change has occurred. That’s why we thought to a polarizing filter.

Thank you very much for the support.

Leonardo

Sure, here they are:

1. Indoor with autoexposure enabled. With a constant light over the image, the image quality is excellent.

indoor1

1. Indoor with autoexposure enabled. The part of the image with the windowed door is overexposed, but in this case this result was expected.

indoor2

1. Outdoor with autoexposure enabled. Although it is not a backlight image, most of it is overexposed. We can appreciate details only where there is shadow. We have also tried to manually set the exposure to the minimum value, but no change has occurred. This is why we thought to the polarizing filter.

outdoor1

outdoor2

Thank you very much for your help.

Leonardo

I am sorry, I’ve tried twice to upload images, but my reply does not show up.

I have used “Insert/edit image” to add the images. Should I use a different approach?

Thanks,

Leonardo

Hello,

Sorry to hear that.

Please send your image to my email [email protected]

Hello,

Have you found a solution to the overexposure outdoor problem?

Thanks

Manuel

We have reported this issue for the sensor factory and they are debugging it and have not give us a response now.