OV5642 Teensy 4.0 - Low FPS compared to the ArduCAM V1/V2 video demo

Hello ArduCAM Team,
I am using the Arducam Mini Module Camera Shield 5MP Plus OV5642

I’ve got it working but the FPS is really low even when using the lowest resolution.
When using the 5MP resolution it takes around 10 seconds for the 350 kb image to be communicated back to the PC.

Sketch used: ArduCAM Mini 5MP OV5642 plus functions sketch
Board: Teensy 4.0
CS PIN: 10 (Changed from 7)
Note - This happens for both the program I coded (C#) and the ArduCAM V2 and V1 demo.

Would highly appreicate your assistance/suggestions.

Thanks,
Ziv Rotstine

Hi,

The FPS too low is determined by the sensor and SPI speed, due to the limitation of the SPI speed of the Arduino board, this effect can only be achieved at present, or you can try our other products.The lowest resolution FPS of 2MP plus is faster than 5MP plus. If possible, we will have an upgraded version in the future.

Hello, thank you for the reply.

The OV5642 specifications state:

– 5 megapixel (2592 x 1944): 15 fps
(and any size scaling down from
5 megapixel)
– 1080p (1920 x 1080): 30 fps
– 720p (1280 x 720): 60 fps
– VGA (640 x 480): 60 fps
– QVGA (320 x 240): 120 fps

I am currently getting 1 frame per 10 seconds rather than 15 frames per second.
Would appreciate your guidance.

Hi,

Your above frame rate information is the performance of the sensor itself.

Our SPI camera processing flow is: The CPLD stores the data output by the camera into the FIFO, and then uses the SPI to read the data in the FIFO (the speed of the SPI will affect the speed of the data read). After the data is read, it is sent to the PC for display through the serial port (the speed of the serial port will affect the speed of the display at this time). Therefore, the frame rate you see at the end will be very slow. If you do not require real-time display, but just save the image to the sd card, we think the above scheme is still very practical, but the real-time performance is really not good.

I see, Thank you for the clarification.

I will look for a MIPI CSI camera and a suitable microcontroller/single board computer for real time frame capture and display purposes.

Have a good day

Please feel free to contact us if you need help.

Hey @zeziv, I’m having some difficulties connecting the same ArduCam to Teensy 4.1 and I believe the problem is SPI, because I’m getting “SPI interface Error”. Could you share your pinning for this project? Does the default example for Video Streaming work for you?