Maximum Framerate IMX298 + RPI4

Wow, that’s really too bad. Thank you for looking into this.

You are welcome. It’s my honor to try my best to help you. Why not use Pi3?

I am working on an application where the image quality and framerate are both very important, but there will also be some image processing happening on the device. This means that every bit of extra CPU performance is important. We are also limited in our ability to add fans for cooling. So the 1.5GHz RPI4 is favored over the 1.4GHZ RPI3.

After some initial tests, I expect that the image processing combined with the JPEG encoding (before sending out over the network) will be the primary bottleneck instead of the 8fps capture rate. Hopefully I can figure out how to push the pixels back to the GPU for image processing, and maybe use the on-board JPEG encoder too. If I can do these things in separate threads, maybe I can get a pipelined version of this code to run at 8fps, and then I will revisit this issue.

Thanks again for your help!

Hello,

Thank you very much for the detailed description, I know your needs. The on-board jpeg encoder of the Raspberry Pi is very slow. We also have a memory copy when taking pictures, which is very unsuitable for high frame rate occasions.I think if you want to meet your requirements, you need a camera that can directly output jpeg format, why not use a UVC camera?

For mipi camera output jpeg format, we are also trying to solve the CSI2 interface parsing jpeg problem.

I can’t find a UVC camera with a 16MP resolution and appropriate controls. If you know a product like this, please let me know!

My system needs to output JPEG over the network. But the JPEG image directly from the IMX298 (and from most UVC cameras) does not have a good “auto” algorithm, and no good controls for preprocessing. For example, it’s common for the gamma to be set incorrectly, or for the white balance to be inaccurate. Even with manual settings on the red and blue gain can’t get the same quality as processing the raw image manually. For example, here is the difference between the automatic white balance and exposure over JPEG compared to my custom raw processing code:

IMX298 AWB + AE JPEG

IMX298 Manual WB and exposure, raw

Hello,

We are developing a higher resolution camera which supports 13 MP and jpeg output. But at present, the pi’s CSI interface does support receive jpeg format.

I don’t know if it can up to your aim if the resolution is 13 MP. If it is. We will try to develop it on our USB shield board recently.

Hello,

We are developing a higher resolution camera which supports 13 MP and jpeg output. But at present, the pi’s CSI interface does support receive jpeg format.

I don’t know if it can up to your aim if the resolution is 13 MP. If it is. We will try to develop it on our USB shield board recently.

For my application, USB vs CSI is not important. Most important is resolution, image quality, and frame rate. Thanks for the news, I will watch for further developments :pray:

Hi,

We will soon release a 13MP usb camera which supports jpeg 30fps output.