maximum focus length of standard lens on spi camera module ov5642?

Hi,

I have an arduCAM mini 5MP SPI camera module (REV. A) with the standard lens that it came with however i seem to be only able to focus up to about 5m with the standard lens. I would like to be able to focus in the 15 - 20 range. Is this possible with the standard lens or do i need to get a special lens.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi,

I will try my best to help you.I want to know what your appeal is.

For the standard lens, more than 5 meters is infinite distance.

If you want to see objects in the distance, we can consider replacing the telephoto lens for you.

You can refer to this link https://www.arducam.com/focal-length-calculator to know which length focus lens you need.

Hi,

I recently received an Arducam Mini Module Camera Shield with OV2640 2 Megapixels and standard Lens for Arduino UNO Mega2560 Board. I have taken some images (see below):

As can be seen some of the images come out very bright (due to reflections?). What settings should be used to avoid this? How much does turning the lens affect ability to focus on an object?

I also received an Arducam 1/2.5" M12 Mount 6mm Focal Length Camera Lens M2506ZH04 and holder, for focusing on objects that are 15 - 20m away however i can not get it to focus at all. What is the correct position for this lens in the holder.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards.

Hi,

Images that are too bright are usually caused by overexposure. In the case of automatic exposure, you can wait a few hundred milliseconds at a time after initializing the camera until the exposure is stable, or you can try manual exposure, which allows you to manually set the exposure time.

Focus blur is usually caused by the mismatch between the lens holder and the lens. Please tell us your lens holder and the lens type.

You can refer to this link for more information.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I received a lens (and lens holder) for a 1/2.5" M12 mount 6mm focal length camera lens (M2506ZH04). I swapped the supplied lens holder and lens for the standard lens and holder that was on the camera module - see photos below.

Any help is much appreciated. Cheers.

Hello,

Can you please try the original lens holder and the new M2506ZH04 6mm lens, or screw the lens out a little on the new holder? It seems from your image that the lens is too close to the sensor.

The bottom of the lens should be at around 7.3mm from the image sensor, so If the lens still can’t focus when you screw it off, the lens holder in the package is shorter than 7.3mm.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get the lens to focus by screwing the lens almost all the way out (see photo below). However it is now very loose in the holder so that i will have to glue it in place. Is a longer holder available? Current holder is 11mm long.

Cheers.

Hello,

The quick way to fix that should be using the original metal lens holder and locking ring, or you can try just putting the locking ring in your current setup to fix it tight. Anyway the locking ring is a crucial part to prevent it from being loose.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The original lens holder that came with the Arducam Mini 2MP plus was plastic and there was no locking ring!

Cheers.

Hello,

I feel sorry but I was reading the title of this topic “maximum focus length of standard lens on spi camera module ov5642” and thought we were still talking about the previous camera module you’ve mentioned last time.

We have longer lens holder, and please contact [email protected] and they will take care of your issues.