Is it possible to use two OV9281 sensors with the UV-444 Pi Zero Adapter

I’ve tried a few different ways but fails with either init=4100 error or fails looking for OV5647 register settings. Is there a way to import the different register settings for the ov9281 sensor or some way to make this work?

Cheers for any assistance

Hello,

Yes, the Adapter board support ov9281 sensor. Please refer to this demo https://github.com/ArduCAM/MIPI_Camera/blob/master/RPI/python/multi_camera_board.py

Let me know if you need more help.

Hello,

Yes, the Adapter board support ov9281 sensor. Please refer to this demo https://github.com/ArduCAM/MIPI_Camera/blob/master/RPI/python/multi_camera_board.py

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks Bin,

I haven’t got a chance to try it yet as I’m experimenting with other methods at the moment.

That link appears to be for the four camera multi-camera board, does it also apply to the RPI Zero multi board? And do you run the demo as is, or make adjustments as needed for my particular setup?

Cheers

Hello Wallace,

Yes you are right. This demo is used for multi-adapter-board. For the uc444 board, you need to change some code. You can try this demo I attached for you.

Thanks for the code.

I’m still failing to get it working however. It fails with a ‘NULL pointer access’ error.

Open camera…
Found sensor ov9281 at address 60
Setting the resolution…
Can’t open the file
mmal: Failed to fix lens shading, use the default mode!
Can’t open the file
mmal: Failed to fix lens shading, use the default mode!
NULL pointer access

Running i2cdetect gives me this;

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – – – – – – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: 60 – – – – – – – – – – – 6c – – –
70: 70 – – – – – – –

Could it be something to do setting gpio 7 high, and 11 low? I’m not really sure how to do this.

Cheers for any assistance

It looks like in the RaspberryPi/Multi_Camera_Adapter/Multi_Adapter_Board_2Channel_uc main example code, it’s calling on default API device id 0. And says advanced uses can select any API backend. If the ov9281 settings are already setup could they called on a different device id number?

Cheers

Hello,

Please attach me your hardware connection and I will help you check it in detail.

For my hardware I’m using a Pi Zero 1.3 with a UV444 multi Cam board and two UC-599 camera boards.

Cheers

Hello,

What I mean is attache me your hardware connection for the UC444 board, we have two versions. Is there a Rev.C logo on your board?

<p style=“text-align: right;”>Sorry about that, yes it is a Rev C board.</p>
Cheers

Hello,

OK, For UC444 multi Cam board + OV9281, you can’t use the RaspberryPi/Multi_Camera_Adapter/Multi_Adapter_Board_2Channel_uc path demo which is used for official camera instead of ov9281.

I have attached for you a test demo https://www.arducam.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/multi_camera_board_two.zip

NULL pointer access means the pi does not receive the image data. Please ensure you have

connected the adapter board to the pi stably. You’d better attach me your hardware connection. I can help you check your diagram in detail.

Pi zero multi board

I have reconnected all the board and cameras to ensure good contact. Hardware specs are as above. I have run that code again and still received NULL pointer access again.

I have also tested both cameras connected by themselves directly to the Pi to rule out camera issue.

Cheers

I can’t seem to attach photos but my hardware specs are as above.
I have successfully tested both cameras connected directly to Pi individually. The multi board is installed all the back on the gpio pins, over the top of the sd card.

I ran that code again but still receive Null pointer access error.

Cheers

Hello,

Thanks for your detail picture.

Everything seems normal. Don’t worry and I will test it and reply you as soon as possible.

Hello,

Please try this demo, I just optimized it https://github.com/ArduCAM/MIPI_Camera/blob/master/RPI/python/multi_camera_board_two.py

Thanks for your time and effort here.

Now some very strange things happened with this. First I ran the old code you sent accidently and it kind of worked, but only displayed Camera A in both split screens for A and B.

Next I ran the new code which I copied and pasted into a new file. It gave me a NULL pointer access error.

Than I noticed that both codes seemed to be exactly the same, so you’re changes must be in the libraries somewhere, so I pulled the entire MIPI_Camera library again to refresh, and then ran your new code again.

However it still only displays Cam A. I switched cameras around but still only A shows. If I watch carefully though, Cam B displays for the first frame then only Cam A in both split screens.

Cheers

Hello,

I have not optimized the library and I just add gpio11 control to switch the camera A and B and I have tested it normally. Please check your hardware carefully. You can change each camera to each channel.

Ok thanks for that. I’ll play around with it a bit more a figure it out.

Cheers

Hello,

You are welcome. Let me know if you need more help.