IMX519 picture quality

After managing to get Arducam 16mpx (IMX519) running on RPI Zero I’m somewhat disappointed with the picture quality. Pictures look a bit bleak, like behind a foggy film.

So I’m wondering - is that expected? Sample links provided below. Inhouse photos with window on one side. Not the greatest light conditions but I was expecting it to perform better when seeing the demo pictures 16MP IMX519 PDAF&CDAF Autofocus Camera for Raspberry Pi and NVIDIA Jetson Nano/NX and NVIDIA Orin NX - Arducam, dark conditions at e.g. https://chiptron.cz/images/articles/Arducam_16Mpx_autofocus/Arducam_16Mpx_autofocus.jpg).

I didn’t use any special switches, just standard call to libcamera-still. Should I use some?

Arducam (libcamera-still -o test.jpg)
Google Photos

Arducam, 1s shutter (libcamera-still -o test.jpg --shutter 1000000)
Google Photos

Arducam (libcamera-still -o test.jpg)
Google Photos

Old phone
Google Photos

I haven’t had a chance to try outside photos yet.

@jhud

If you think the image is too dark, you can try to adjust the exposure and gain.

The corresponding parameters are shutter and gain.

Gain refers to the amplification level of the electronic amplifier inside the camera module, which can be adjusted at the analog circuit level or at the digital signal processing level. The larger the gain value, the stronger the output signal, the brighter the image, but it also introduces more noise. Gain can be used to enhance image brightness in low-light environments, but care should be taken not to increase it excessively, otherwise it will affect image quality.

Exposure refers to the shutter time inside the camera module, which is the camera’s light-receiving time. The longer the exposure time, the more light the camera receives, and the brighter the image, but it also increases the risk of image blur and motion blur. If the exposure time is too short, the image will be too dark. When shooting static objects, exposure time can be set according to the brightness of the environment and the sensitivity of the photosensitive element to obtain appropriate image brightness and clarity.

In summary, gain and exposure are both parameters used to adjust image brightness, but gain controls the signal strength while exposure controls the time that light enters the photosensitive element. When using camera modules, these two parameters can be adjusted flexibly according to actual needs to obtain suitable image effects.

Thanks @Edward , that’s clear. However, if I compare a dark image like this one - https://chiptron.cz/images/articles/Arducam_16Mpx_autofocus/Arducam_16Mpx_autofocus.jpg - which looks great and is very dark with mine I just have that feeling mine is like covered in white fog or cloudy let’s say. Don’t know if and how that can be compensated with the parameters.

@jhud

It feels a bit like the lens is dirty, you can wipe it off.

Was this taken by someone else?

Yes, that comes from a site that tested the camera. Somebody else took it.