IMX219 does not work in GUI app

I have an USB 2 shield and installed the windows GUI app.

It works well with the rpi sensor OV5647, but it does not work with the IMX219.

When opening this camera in the Arducam USB camera demo app, I get an ‘USB device create error’.

Has anyone any suggestion why this does not work?

Hi @wim ,

Can you tell me the product number of the IMX219 you bought? (B0207 etc.)

Hi Wong

I bought the camera modules a few years ago with my raspberry pi´s , so I have no arducam product number.

Hi @wim

The software of the USB 2 shield is not compatible with RaspberryPi IMX219. Can you tell me your email? I can send you a specific version of the GUI app.

Hi Wong,

I want to use the usb 2 shield with the Software SDK and API for Python on Windows10.

This also works fine with OV5647 but not with IMX219.

Do I need a specific SDK for IMX219?

Kind regards,

[email protected]

Hi @wim

The relevant file has been sent to your mailbox, please check

Hi Wong

Thanks for the files.

The GUI app now works with IMX219.

But the Python demo program does not.

Here is what I get:

C:>cd Python37

C:\Python37>Python MyPrograms\Streaming_demo\ArduCam_Py_Demo.py IMX219_MIPI_2Lane_RAW10_8b_1920x1080_20fps.cfg

Config file does not exist.

Whitout configuration files I get:

C:\Python37>Python MyPrograms\Streaming_demo\ArduCam_Py_Demo.py

usage: sudo python ArduCam_Py_Demo.py <path/config-file-name>

example: sudo python ArduCam_Py_Demo.py …/…/…/python_config/AR0134_960p_Color.json

Does I need configuration files with a .json extention?

Kind regards.

Hi Wong

I figured out my config files were in the wrong directory.

But now I get the following error:

C:\Python37>Python MyPrograms\Streaming_demo\ArduCam_Py_Demo.py IMX219_MIPI_2Lane_RAW10_8b_1920x1080_20fps.cfg

color mode 2
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “MyPrograms\Streaming_demo\ArduCam_Py_Demo.py”, line 198, in <module>
if camera_initFromFile(config_file_name):
File “MyPrograms\Streaming_demo\ArduCam_Py_Demo.py”, line 85, in camera_initFromFile
ArducamSDK.Py_ArduCam_registerCtrls(handle, config.controls, config.controls_length)
File “pyArducam.pyx”, line 767, in ArducamSDK.Py_ArduCam_registerCtrls
ValueError: NULL pointer access

What is going wrong?

kind regards

Hi @wim

You can comment out lines 85 and 86, which are unreleased features that need to be improved

Hi Wong,

Python programing goes well now. Changing registersetting on imx219 is responding as expected. Except for changing the width of the image, I can only setting the values (1920, 3280) as in the cfg files.

For my application (planetary astro camera) I need to set small resolutions with high framerate.

Is it possible to change the image size to 480x320 pix, or something like that?

kind regards,

Hi @wim

Sorry for the late reply, we currently don’t have a similar configuration. It will take some time to create a new configuration because our engineers are busy.
By the way, why do you need a 480×320 resolution, is 640x480 enough for you?

Hi Wong,

A 640x480 resolution will also be OK.

I need to be able to select a small ‘Region Of Intrest’ on the 3280x2462 sized sensor, in order to decrease amount of output data and increase the framerate.

High framerate and short exposuretime is necesarry in a planetary camera to frees atmospheric turbuence.

Kind regards,

Hi @wim

Can you tell me the version of your USB 2 shield? Similar to UC391 Rev.E

Hi Wong

it is UC-391 REV. E

kind regards,

Hi @wim

This is the configuration of IMX219 640x480.

Tools->Controls have some controls available, if you adjust the exposure too much, it will affect the frame rate.

Hi, I also have USB device create error with IMX219 on USB 2 shield UC-391 Rev E . The camera board is UC-350 Rev C, and on the box it is written B0102. Please also send me the SDK. Thanks

Also on the GUI for windows, the device has no choice, but only have “0 ÿÿÿÿ-ÿÿÿÿ-ÿÿÿÿ” choice available

Hi Wong,

the the configuration of IMX219 640×480 works as expected!

Many thanks to the arducam team for the great support!

kind regards

Hi @wim

Glad to hear that your problem has been resolved.

Feel free to let us know if you have other concerns or questions

Best Regards,

Hi @irontius

B0102 was not originally designed to work with USB shields. So our officially released version of the SDK does not support it. If you want to use it, we can send you a specific version of the SDK.
Please provide your email if you need it.