Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about PTZ (Pan-Tilt-Zoom) Camera

Arducam forum moderators will post the frequently asked questions and their answers on this topic. Other topics & comments in this archive might be deleted. We recommend you to read through this topic for an existing solution before you post a new topic.

Q:

I already have a Raspberry Pi Camera Module v2.1 8MP - can the PTZ lense be fitted to this board or do I have to use the camera board that you bundle with the PTZ?

About the bundled 5MP OV5647 camera board, does it hardware encode video to H.264 and is it 100% compatible with the original Raspberry Pi camera? Do you happen to know if the PTZ fits on top of the Pimoroni Pan-Tilt HAT ?

A:

1. The PTZ lense cannot be fitted to this board. The size of the board is different, so it cannot be installed.
  2. Yes, it does encode video to H.264. Although the size and lens are different, the function is the same.
  3. We feel sorry that we haven’t try it as what you said, we guess that the PTZ cannot fit on top of the Pimoroni Pan-Tilt HAT.

Q:

Can it be contolled by Arduino? Does it output ntsc signal?

A:

No, it cannot be controlled by Arduino. It outputs NTSC signal.

Q:

I was able to get it up and running but the image looks very red (with and without the IR cut filter). Do you know if this is normal?

A:

It is a problem concerning lens shading which is caused by unmatched lens sensor.
There is no official open interface of the Raspberry Pi, which cannot be solved temporarily.