Dropping Frames With libcamera-vid IMX462

Hello,
I am trying to record video with a brand-new IMX462 at 60FPS however I am running into the videos having hard cuts throughout the video. The video is supposed to run for 10 seconds and 60FPS so it should have 600 frames however the frame counter at the end often only has ~560 frames. This also happens when running at 30FPS. When previewing the video, there are no cuts. My two ideas are either that I would have to cache the frames first, but I don’t know how to do that, or something to do about the fact that I receive this error "ERROR IPAProxy ipa_proxy.cpp:149 Configuration file 'arducam-pivariety.json' not found for IPA module 'raspberrypi' whenever I use libcamera-vid. I’m running this on the latest image of PI(Bullseye). I get that error both through SSH and when I’m just on the PI, but ideally it can work through SSH. Thank you!

@EoghanGlosterDPEA

Please try to set the frame rate to the firmware value, use the parameter ‘–framerate’.

This error should not have any impact, so please feel free to use it.

It is set to 60FPS libcamera-vid -t 10000 --framerate 60 -o 60fpstest7.h264 which is why I’m very confused

@EoghanGlosterDPEA

This issue may be caused by slow processing when handling data, which can result in dropped frames. To address this, you can try disabling the preview by using the -n parameter.

You could also try using v4l2 to test if capturing raw images directly causes frame loss(this method is not recommended for the time being, there is no way to try it later)

Hey Edward, we’ve established that its not an issue with the preview as it cuts with and without the preview. We are not super sure on how to make the v4l2 work so we haven’t tried it yet but we think that we have discovered that is not a frame dropping issue. The output log shows that is generally recording the right amount of frames or at least close enough where there would only be less than a second of cuts but when we directly time the cuts we can see that it not only cuts for seemingly exactly 4 whole seconds(out of a 10 second video) but also the cuts are at regular intervals. During the video we see a cut for a whole second every other second(so from 2-3, 4-5, 6-7,8-9). These regular intervals seem to not match up to what would happen if it was to slow to save the data as on certain videos the cut happens within milliseconds of the start of the video. The cuts seem to always be for one whole second though. Not sure if this is helpful to solving the issue but thanks again for you help.

@EoghanGlosterDPEA

It appears that the issue lies with the libcamera software. While the camera module is generating accurate data, certain frames are being dropped by the libcamera software for unknown reasons. Although we have developed our own version of libcamera, we have not made any changes to the core modules. Therefore, we suggest reporting this issue to the Raspberry Pi team for further investigation.