Before you ask questions about libcamera and camera drivers

This Post will introduce some information you need to provide when asking questions, which can help us solve your problem faster and better.

2 Likes

Before you ask questions about libcamera and related drivers, please provide the following information:

1. System related information can be obtained by the following command:

uname -a
    cat /etc/os-release
    cat /proc/meminfo
    cat /boot/config.txt

2. System log

dmesg

3. Camera Module
    Module number(e.g. SKU) or purchase link
    Photo of hardware connection (This is important.)

4. Application log
    Provide error information or screenshots of application output

1 Like

I remember seeing this post earlier and then couldn’t find it when I needed it. I think it would be helpful if this content is added to the FAQ to find it more easily.

Just my 2 cnt.

2 Likes

Even the help instructions are wrong. /boot/config.txt doesn’t exist anymore. on the latest OFFICIAL Raspberry pi OS /boot/config.txt is now at /boot/firmware/config.txt. ALL OF THEIR CAMERAS ARE BROKEN due to this.

“Even the help instructions are wrong. /boot/config.txt doesn’t exist anymore. on the latest OFFICIAL Raspberry pi OS /boot/config.txt is now at /boot/firmware/config.txt. ALL OF THEIR CAMERAS ARE BROKEN due to this.”

Yes, that seems to be the case. I have not been able to get a new 64mp camera to work with a new Raspberry Pi5.
There appear to be multiple issues. config.txt is only one such. I am getting a chip id error reported in dmesg, while another user with a new 64mp camera and a new Pi5 passes that particular check - but he was missing /usr/share/libcamera/ipa/rpi/pisp/arducam_64mp.json - which was installed on my system - so I gave him that file; and he then ran into another layer of libcamera errors.

For details, see our exchange down in this thread:

Cabling seems to be an issue also. I noticed the branded HQ cameras have 15 pins on board, while the Arducam & Pi 5 has 22. I tried so many iterations of flipping cables, buying 15-22 adapter cables, straight-thru cables, etc. Nothing. I had to give up on Arducam and returned the boards I bought: replaced them with a bog standard 15 pin branded HQ camera, and got it to work on my pi 4. None of those other cables worked on the pi 5, nor did the Arducams themselves.

I mean I WANT the Arducam boards to work, but has someone gotten one to “just work” on a pi 5?

Hi,
Sorry for the inconvenience we brought.
May you start a new thread and as this thread mentions to provide us with the useful information from yours for further help?

I’ve rebuilt out of desperation too many times already. I plan on giving it one more go, however. Does Arducam have a “configurator-type of app on the website that would help me decide, based on parameters, to get the correct model? It doesn’t help my situation that I bought from Amazon and the item didn’t SPECIFICALLY say Raspberry Pi 5. That’s my base requirement. I need WHATEVER to work with the mini CSI connector on Raspberry Pi 5. Also, I’ll be buying direct from you guys this time.

Caveat Emptor, I guess…

I gave up on the 64MP Arducam after trying to get it to work on BOTH a Pi5 and a Pi4, and returned the camera to Amazon for a refund. I purchased a Raspberry Pi Foundation Camera Module 3 which works on both the Pi4 and the Pi5 - using the appropriate cables for each Pi, and the stock libcamera software installed in Bookworm.