B0425 (imx327) producing mechanical sound

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?
    uctronics
  2. Model number of the product(s)?
    B0425
  3. What hardware/platform were you working on?
    Raspi Zero 2W
  4. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.)
  1. Problems you were having?
    At certain light conditions, the motor in the camera module exhibits continous mechanical noise. I am concerned that this will affect the product’s service life.
  2. The dmesg log from your hardware?
    n.a.
  3. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?
  1. What help do you need?
    Please provide information what can be done to introduce some hysteresis !

@Robert

Sounds like the ir-cut cuts the lens in low light, it’s a feature of this camera, don’t you want that effect?

In theory this will not affect the lifespan, but if you are worried about this, you can also choose manual ir-cut.
https://docs.arducam.com/Raspberry-Pi-Camera/IR-Sensitive-Camera-with-IRCUT/quick-start/

Oh, I see. Unfortunately, my version of the camera module is UC-755 Rev.C, which is different from the referred document. I guess I need the same solution like Setting up imx327 to manually set ir cut, but unfortunately it is not clear to me how exactly that solution is done. From what I understand so far, for manual motor control I need to unsolder the photo resistor and this 0-Ohm resistor:

I guess these actions will disable the automatic control, but I do not understand where to connect the external GPIO signal to enforce manual control? Please give advice.

@Robert - You don’t need to remove the photo resistor, unless you want to.

All you need to do is disconnect the white connector with the red and black wires - that will leave the IR-Cut filter on (default daylight mode).

If you want to control it programmatically, you need to find the ground (DGND) and IR pins on the opposite side of the board from the ribbon cable.

The pinouts are different on the UC-755 rev C:

3V3
IR
TRIGGER
DGND
XVS
SIOC
SIOD
3V3

The top 3V3 and IR pinouts are partially obscured by the photo resistor, but you can still reach the IR pinout without removing the photo resistor, if necessary.

Connect DGND to a ground on your RPi and IR to an available GPIO pin. ArduCam recommends GPIO4 (pin 7) - but any available output GPIO should work, assuming your code knows which pin to talk to.