Arducam_64MP, Pi4/8GB, 64bit RaspianOS - installs fine, doesn't work/run

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?
    From Arducam directly.

2. Model number of the product(s)?
    Arducam 64MP in a 4 box set together with teh 4x-in-1x-out HAT or standalone.

3. What hardware/platform were you working on?
    see below in my pastebin for raspinfo output.

4. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.)
    h t t p s: / / www. arducam. com/downloads/arducam_64mp_pi_camera_manual.pdf
    (I can apparently only post 2 URLs…) and
    How to use arducam_64mp - #17 by Edward

5. Problems you were having?
    Were? Am! :slight_smile:

$ libcamera-still -t 5000 --viewfinder-width 2312 --viewfinder-height 1736 -o 64mp.jpg
Made DRM preview window
[0:00:32.643515074] [1121]  INFO Camera camera_manager.cpp:293 libcamera v0.0.0+3572-e13ccdd5
ERROR: *** no cameras available ***
$
  1. The dmesg log from your hardware?
    see above.

2. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?
    Trying the two known sources I… know.

3. What help do you need?
    Getting the cam standalone and the HAT to work.

So much for the preliminary.
For a full "from freshly set up image SD card to ‘sigh’, see: arducam install fail - Pastebin.com

Any ideas what’s (not) goin on (or wrong) here?

Side question: The cameras boxes are labelled “Only for Camarray HAT” - does that mean I cannot use one camera “standalone” without the HAT?!

Thank you in advance,
Christian.

@cts
From your information, there is nothing wrong. Take a picture of your hardware connections.

Here you go. Thanks!

Exact the same problem here with 32 Bit OS 2022-04-04. Also trying a standalone 64mp from the hat package. I also tried 32 Bit OS 2022-01-28 there i get another error:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ libcamera-still -t 0 --viewfinder-width 2312 --viewfinder-height 1736
[0:04:42.076060748] [1012]  INFO Camera camera_manager.cpp:293 libcamera v0.0.0+3139-5baab39e
terminate called without an active exception
Aborted

@cts
My fault, I didn’t see your product model clearly. If you’re using a 64MP QuadCamera, you’re not using a camera independently. You must use our adapter.

@Nem
You can’t use one of them independently, if you need to use one of them, you can switch the channel to use.How to use arducam_64mp - #15 by Edward

I see. On preordering i didnt see that note. The site seems to have changed a litlle :face_with_monocle: I was thinking i can use them indepentdently. If i for example only need 2 cameras for one project the other 2 are unusable without an extra hat. Can that be changed? Is it a Firmware thing or are they wired differently?

@Nem
Yes, the firmware used with a microcontroller and a single camera is not the same.
If you only want to use two, we also have corresponding models.

I have to strongly agree with @Nem - this was definitely never mentioned before I ordered. And, it is not something I can make much use of.

Is there a way to reflash the FW to have “normal” models?

On a side note, does the USB C port need to be connected when using the HAT with the cameras?

@cts
I will report your questions to the relevant people.
Your first question: there is a way, the camera must be sent back now, but we have plans to do remote support.
The second question: the role of the USB C interface is to supply power, you can also use the pin to supply power, our tutorial should write it. Just choose one of the two.
Finally, I apologize again, we are also improving our website and related instructions recently, hope you will continue to pay attention.

Hello,

I am also perplexed as to how this does not work as a standalone device, as the images on the crowdfunding page still show one camera connected to one raspberry pi.
i’ve just bought 4 raspberry pi’s in order to use the 4 cameras.
what do we do now?
Do i need to send all 4 back for a FW upgrade?

Kindly,

puc

@puccaso
Yes.Please send it to this email [email protected], someone will connect with you

1 Like

Hello Edward,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have contacted the sales team.

Regards,

Puc.

Hey there,

One year has passed :slight_smile:
How far are your plans for offering remote support for reflashing the cameras so we can choose to use it as multi or single setup?

@Nem

This part now needs to modify the hardware to support it, and it may not be possible to perform remote upgrades for the time being.

@Edward

Thank you for your answer. But still i don’t understand it fully. Can you please clearify some things:

1. Are ‘64MP-Hat-Cameras’ different in Hardware to ‘64MP-Standalone-Cameras’
    If Yes: What exactly is the difference?
    If No: What do you mean by ‘this part’

From earlier posts i thought hardware on camera-side is the same.

1. I dont really want to upgrade anything. I would like to reflash only the camera boards by my self if possible. I find it a bit nebulous ‘may not be’ so the question i have:
    Is it possible or not?

If Yes: is the information about the process or the firmware itself confidential and thus the reason why we “may not” do it. Or does one need extra hardware/software builds to perform the change?

If No: what is the exact reason it cant be done (at least for us)

Yes.There is a difference between the camera hardware used on the hat and the camera used alone. I can’t directly tell you how to modify the hardware, it’s dangerous and can easily damage the camera. You can contact [email protected] to inquire about specific modification methods. The reason for asking the email is because if you insist on modifying the hardware yourself, you may need to know some disclaimers and other documents, please forgive me for my behavior.

I could tell you unequivocally that this is not possible without modifying the hardware.

Thank you for clarification.