Additional helpful information needed on 3/5MP MEGA SPI cams

1. Where did you get the camera module(s)?
    ArduCam directly (Kickstarter Backer)
  2. Model number of the product(s)?
    B0434 / B0401
  3. What hardware/platform were you working on?
    ESP32 MicroPython 1.22
  4. Instructions you have followed. (link/manual/etc.)
    N/A
  5. Problems you were having?
    N/A
  6. The dmesg log from your hardware?
    N/A
  7. Troubleshooting attempts you’ve made?
    N/A
  8. What help do you need?
    N/A

Hi all,

I don’t have a specific problem, but I do have a few questions. Maybe someone has an answer:

The resolutions 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 cannot be set in either camera (3/5MP). What is the reason for this? For the aspect ratio 4/3, after 640 x 480 there is only 1600 x 1200 again, nothing in between. In my opinion, this is a real shortcoming.

The documentation for the SPI registers lists some registers (0x07, 0x0A, 0x0B and 0x0C) for accessing the camera’s I2C interface. Is there any additional documentation or other information about this?

Does anyone happen to know which cameras are installed in the two models? Perhaps there is I2C information about the camera modules (?)

I would be very grateful for any further information on this.
Best regards

Hi @rmac,
Anyway, thank you for your patience. Sometimes I am stuck on other problems or tests, so a prompt response might not be easy.

For now, we only open some regular resolutions for the Mega series for stability and robustness because we need to make a standard interface for Mega cameras. To some extent, it is a limitation and weakness that meets some specific requirements. We value your advice and are considering adding some resolutions to the next version of Megas.

The sensors under the Mega series are not open to the public. I really appreciate you as an expert embedded engineer who wants to bypass the sensor via some registers. However, this information for it is not public currently.

Hi Dion,
okay, thanks for your reply.